Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Huzzah!

As I was watering all of the seeds this morning, I lost control while watering the basil seed and more water than needed came rushing out of Jim Beam's neck. This slight watering mishap revealed an exciting development beneath the surface of the soil: a seedling! I didn't notice it earlier because it is right at soil line, or maybe because it did more growing overnight. Either way--even though it does feel like I snooped and ruined the surprise--I'm happy to know that I will at least be getting some results from this first round of seed. I tried to take a picture, but my camera isn't equipped to pick up the fine detail of close-range shots. It's the dot in the middle that looks tinted yellow-green...



...See it?? Probably not. But I thought I'd try to share anyway.

The trick now will be nourishing the little guy in just the right manner so that it continues to grow at a steady rate, eventually developing into a mature plant. There is some temptation to sit back and relax now that I know something is growing, but giving into this temptation will most likely be deadly--to the fragile seedling. Okay, so maybe I'm being a little melodramatic, but that is the reality of the situation, and unless I want to start from scratch, I have to maintain an indefatigable regimen of caring for the tender seedlings.

No comments:

Post a Comment