Monday, April 9, 2012

14 Days

It's been 14 days since I sowed the herb seeds. Last night, there was still no sign of any growth from either the parsley or chives seed. But the parsley seed must have done some last-minute growing overnight: when I got up this morning and stumbled over to the sill to check on the seeds, the parsley had sprouted!


This was a pleasant and rather unexpected surprise. I had resigned myself to the fact that I'd only have the basil seedling to boast of from my first sowing attempt. I wasn't as disappointed as I thought I'd be; I think I was just happy that anything sprouted from my first sowing, and if I had to try again with some of the seed, then so be it. Now that I have two seedlings I feel even more pleased and at peace with the outcomes.

The big question now is how far past the 14 days do I give the chives seed to sprout? The seed package said sprouting would occur in 7 - 14 days, so I'm not sure if there is much hope for the chives seed beyond today if it still hasn't sprouted by the end of the day. I think I'll give it a few more days, and if still no signs of life, give it a rest. At this point, I'm not sure when and if I'll sow another round of chives seed. I might just want to concentrate on tending to the basil and parsley seedling, doing what I can to ensure that they develop into mature plants.

Yesterday I was reflecting on this project and how it has been going thus far. One of the things that really strikes me as being so totally different than what I had envisioned is the amount of time and work involved. For some reason, when I first entertained the prospect of growing herbs, I thought it would be a super time- and labor-intensive project, which is something that kind of scared me off, especially since at the time I was in school. I couldn't imagine adding a new project into the mix. But so far the part of the project that has taken the most time has been the research I did before I started the actual sowing and growing. In other words, the project as represented by thought was much more overwhelming than the project as manifested in reality.

With that, I'll end this post with a recent picture of the basil seedling. You can definitely see it now!


No comments:

Post a Comment