Thursday, March 29, 2012

Room of Light

I got a little carried away with capturing the flood of sunlight that fills the apartment to the brim in the afternoon. It gets so intense that I usually close the curtains, but now that I have a photosynthesizing little friend perched on the sill, I can't close the curtains all the way. You'll see that I closed them enough to keep some of the light out while still allowing the mint plant to bask its bad self in the glow.




The last picture is my favorite. The sun-etched silhouette of the lurking spire in the background and the appearance of translucency at its pinnacle evoke feelings of liminality and seem to question the very nature of reality. While the form of this large, imposing structure is demoted to shadow, the small mint plant retains its form and appears more solid and formidable than an object 1,000 (10,000?; 100,000?) times its size and made of sturdy materials such as wood, stone, and mortar. The mint plant seems almost unaware of its challenging stance in the face of this otherwise monolithic presence.  

No comments:

Post a Comment