Sunday, July 29, 2012

OregaNOooo!

Behold the tragic sight of diseased oregano:



So very sad! This little guy didn't last long at all. It is possible that since it was originally an outdoor plant and had more of a living soil as its substrate that it picked up the disease before it was passed on to me, but not likely. A quick search on diseases of oregano plants revealed that the most common diseases are fungal, resulting from improperly drained soil and just general moist conditions. For those of you on the East coast of the U.S., you can attest that the past couple of weeks have been disgustingly humid. And even though we have a small window AC unit that does substantially combat some of the funkiness, it is really no match for air heavily gravid with the clam (aka humidity). 

And so I find myself back at the drawing board once again, an eerie parallel to where I feel I am at in the progression of my life. Is this project a consciously-aware entity that is purposefully mimicking my life? Ah! However (un)likely that is, it does give rise to some serious introspection, of which I'll reserve for the blog I keep in my brain. ;)

Of immediate relevance: What to do next with this project? I think moving it outdoors would be best, but timing doesn't look like it will be right for that this year. With an upcoming trip that will have me gone most of August, if I were to start some seedlings indoors when I got back, they wouldn't even sprout until early September, and then... well, you can see where this is going: running out of summer! Hence, this may conclude any active attempts to cultivate my own plants until the Spring. I'll keep adopting plants from my chiropractor (since she has a surplus anyway) to use up quickly in cooking, but as far as growing my own, it looks like that seed has blown away (ship has sailed?... I tried...). 

Yes, indeed I did try.

No comments:

Post a Comment