Thursday, November 29, 2012

Sprouting Sprouts

I'm actually surprised with myself that I got this up and running pretty quickly. I know it doesn't seem like an involved project and it really isn't, but even the easiest tasks can seem daunting when obscured by the thick shadows of protracted darkness. The "hardest" part was cleaning out the durn peanut butter jar! Now that everything's set up all that's left to do is wait. Here's a mini photo-doc of the process:

1. Gather a clean glass jar, cheesecloth (unbleached), rubberband (or gumband for all the Yinzers out there), and a handful of seeds of your choice (I used quinoa to start. If this works, I'll try sprouting the leftover garlic chive seeds from my "real" growing project.).



2. Soak seeds in water overnight.


3. Drain seeds and transfer to jar. Cover with cheesecloth, securing with the rubberband.


4. Flip jar over and place on saucer dish to catch any excess moisture.


5. Place on windowsill with makeshift cornucopia.


P.S. For optimal results, it says to rinse the seeds a few times a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment