Monday, February 6, 2012

Re-potting Plants and... A Soul?

I completed my practice activity yesterday evening/this afternoon (re-potting my houseplants). It felt good to accomplish this task: it felt good to give these plants some fresh, healthy soil; and it felt good to do something that a.) I've never done before and b.) I planned on doing. I know it's not directly related to the herb-growing project, and it may seem like such a nominal accomplishment, but even still, I find that it has given me a certain measure of confidence in my ability to follow through with this project.

A little more about the process. First, I took an old paper grocery bag and cut it so that it was flat (like when you cut it up to use for shipping paper or the like). This was to serve as my work surface, a little island of cleanliness, in the middle of the common room on the floor. In all honesty though, I wasn't too worried about keeping everything contained to the paper; I just wanted to make cleaning up afterward easier than if I had done the re-potting on the bare floor. Once I was all set up, I simply brought each plant over and exchanged the old soil for the new. I also took the plants out of the little plastic container that they were in inside of the actual pot. Admittedly, this is probably something I should have done a long time ago. Well, the whole project is something I should have done awhile ago. But lamenting about the past is not what this post--or the whole project--is about. Check out the photos:

Looking rather sorry...
The Work-space
Looking much better.
Earlier today I was actually feeling like I could use a soil transplant of sorts: it would be nice to be infused with freshness somehow. Could someone please re-pot me? I'd quite like to be able to stretch my body-bound soulroots, tightly wound around and around the circumference of the container, mimicking an ouroboros but without the accompanying feelings of infinity and wholeness. During these bouts of stagnant humor, most appreciated are the invigorating effects of the gesture of a kind heart and a fortuitous encounter during a time of marked ambivalence.

No comments:

Post a Comment