Saturday, March 24, 2012

Finding Mint on a Saturday

Look what I found: a beautiful mint plant!
I am proud to present my new herbal acquisition (some may laugh), mojito mint (Mentha villosa). For those who have been paying close attention, you might remember that this is not the species of mint I had originally intended on including in my indoor garden. When first planning out the garden, I had decided on peppermint (Mentha piperita), but in preparation for what I will most likely be doing a lot with this project--improvising and deviating from original plans--I decided to roll with it, and take advantage of the opportunity and inspiration that today bestowed upon me.

The day began with a trip downtown with a friend to attend a conference on food (Farm to Table). After perusing the vendors, we made our way to a demonstration on growing your own shitake mushrooms. Herein lies the jump-start of inspiration that I have seemed to be lacking as of late. A quirky, energetic Huck Finn-of-a-man shared his knowledge of shitake growing. While obviously not plant growing, the theme is similar: growing your own foodstuffs. And if the herb growing goes well, and I enjoy it, I just might venture into growing fungi too! Armed with this revamped enthusiasm for my project, I resolved to get everything I need to start growing this weekend. An impromptu, post-conference stroll along the buzzing streets of the Strip District, packed with people, fresh food, and cheap merchandise, eventually led us to a plant store that had some of their leafy-green wares displayed outside. This was an opportune find indeed, and rather than balk at buying because it was not the species I had originally intended, in an act of unfaltering decision, I picked the best looking plant in the bunch, and made this little plant mine.

I feel extremely invigorated by this little plant. It looks right at home on the windowsill, and I found myself almost unable to stop taking pictures of it.


   

Since I just got this plant an hour or so ago, it's still in its little flimsy plastic pot; I'll be getting its permanent pot ready a.s.a.p and transplanting forthwith (perhaps with a mojito in hand!). This will be the only herb that I won't be growing from seed, per recommendations in the literature I have read. From here on out, it will be awhile before anything this bountiful is around, but pretty soon this little guy will have some seedlings for company on the sill.

No comments:

Post a Comment