Thursday, February 16, 2012

Drawwwwwing It Out...

My absence over the past few days has been partially due to recovering from a monstrous migraine, being occupied with other things, and hovering in indecision over which herb to choose as the fourth and final herb for my indoor garden. I thought I had pretty much made up my mind around the time that I made my last post, but after reading a little bit more about the herb, I decided it might not be the best herb to grow just starting off: it seems to be a bit ornery and particular. Thus, I decided to save that herb for later on down the line for when I'm more of an experienced herb grower.

In this present moment, I do feel close (again) to making the decision, and it is (again) between two herbs. "What exactly is she mulling over?", you might be wondering. Well, as I alluded to above, one of the factors that I'm taking into account as I select the herbs is ease of growth. Not to say that I'm avoiding a challenge, but this project--which is something that I've never done before--is already challenge enough. I don't want to add additional challenge by picking some herb that is notoriously ridiculously hard to grow. This relates to the whole confidence/morale issue that I've talked about here and there in previous posts.

I'm also factoring in the culinary and medicinal uses of the herbs. I want to pick something that is either fairly versatile in the kitchen or an herb that will be particularly useful for certain health ailments. For example, at one point I was considering growing Dill, but eventually I decided that I don't use it enough to warrant growing it. Of course, the jackpot would be an herb that has both culinary AND medicinal properties to it. But that's not always the case. To recap, my current list includes Basil, Peppermint, and Parsley. Basil's strength is its contribution to culinary delights. Peppermint, while definitely used in cooking, I picked more for its medicinal properties. Parsley is a well-rounded herb of prominence in a wide array of food dishes and benefit to one's health.

The final two herbs that I am decided between are not "jackpot" herbs: one I would pick primarily for its culinary use and the other for its medicinal use. I'll give you a hint: they both start with the letter "C". I'm going to do a little more reading on both today, and then make my decision. Enough dragging my feet already!

No comments:

Post a Comment