Saturday, January 21, 2012

A Long-Awaited Start

I have been wanting to start growing herbs for quite some time now. My interest was first piqued during grad school, and at that time, the space I was living in was not conducive to growing herbs inside (small, no good windowsills). But now that I live in an apartment on the top floor with huge windows and a spacious sill to put things on, the set-up is ideal, especially for full-sun herbs (which most of the commonly-used herbs are). So, it is time to stop lollygaggin' and plant some herbs already!

After grabbing a coffee at the bookstore before a chiropractor appointment on a bitingly cold January morning, I decided to quickly scan the sale items to see if anything good caught my eye. And behold: a lovely little herb book, full of useful information for an herb-growing neophyte, and a penny-pinching one at that. Without hesitating, I picked up a copy and proceeded to the check-out line. The purchase made it official: I was finally going to embark upon my herb-growing adventure.

The book that will serve as my guide on the herb journey.
(Yes, I left the price tag on: $6.98!)
I have a tendency to accumulate a lot of unfinished projects (either in the outside world or inside my mindworld), but I really want to follow through with this one, for various reasons:

1. I have started cooking more recently, and a lot of dishes I cook call for fresh herbs (parsley, basil,etc.). Most fresh herbs are sold at grocery stores, but in rather large bushels, especially for someone who is only cooking for one. I find that I either end up throwing away spoiled herbs, or I feel rushed to use them before they go bad. Growing my own herbs will be less wasteful.
2. Going along with Reason 1, growing my own herbs will also be more economical. Buying fresh herbs can be rather expensive, especially for this urban quasi-ascetic.
3. Utilitarian reasons aside, having fresh herbs growing around the apartment will add a visually-pleasing aesthetic to the atmosphere. Living in the steel-grey city of Pittsburgh, it will be nice to have more greenery in the apartment, in addition to the few house plants already livening up the place.
4. I am a sucker for the fragrant smells of fresh (and dried) herbs. Their uplifting scents soothe a restless, cranky, or melancholy soul.
5. An herb-growing project will be a fun, rewarding hobby. Of course their is the obvious reward of fresh herbs to harvest and toss into the dish du jour, but physical, emotional, and spiritual benefits will most likely follow suit as well. An anxiety-prone individual, growing and tending to my herbs will be a relaxing outlet. Spiritually, I might find myself growing along with my herbs.

With reasons aplenty, there is little room for excuses to delay an herb-growing project any further. In fact, my newly-acquired herb book outlines directions for a simple starter project. How much easier could it get!? The book suggests starting with 4 herbs, which I like because as I was reading the book last night, I was getting so giddy with excitement over all the possibilities, that I was starting to feel overwhelmed. And feeling overwhelmed is I think one reason I have not started the project sooner. As the all-too familiar saying goes: baby steps. Per the recommendations of the book, I am going to start with basil, dill, parsley, and spearmint (and I might add in some lavender. I know, I know... what happened to only 4?). More to come on the starter project later.

In an effort to further concretize my decision to start growing herbs, I have decided to chronicle my journey via this blog. Each step I take along the way and thoughts and observations that arise as part of my journey will be shared. Admittedly, this is partly for self-serving reasons because I think that if I document the process, it will help me to stick with it and follow through. But I'm also hoping that readers will enjoy the tale of this one little urbanite's (or HERBanite) daring venture into the wild world of growing herbs indoors.

1 comment: