Thursday, July 2, 2015

Resurfacing and Relocating

It's been little over a year since my last post. Yikes! A lot has happened, including a move. So, Herbs in the Burgh is now more like Herbs in the Greater Burgh Area. But that's OK. We can still have herb-infused fun! In fact, one great thing about where I live now is that I actually have a little outdoor area where I can keep potted herbs. Check out the spread of basil, parsley, chives, and aloe:



 I'm kind of surprised that the basil, parsley, and chives are doing so well. I wasn't expecting much when I swooped up the plants at a local produce market, but thought I might as well try (and the plants were on sale, so what the heck?). This deck is great, but it doesn't get as much sun as herbs like basil and parsley need and crave.

So having this little herb garden right off of my living room door has been great so far. I love going out and picking a little chives to put in scrambled eggs, or basil (and parsley, if you're feeling really herby!) to make an impromptu feta, tomato, and kalamata olive salad, and, of course, caprese! I used the basil to jazz up a golden beet and fennel salad (beets and fennel compliments of my CSA).

 
Which, by the way, if you are obsessed with herbs like me and look for ways to incorporate them into your cooking as much as possible, this list of veggie and herb pairings is awesome. As for the aloe, I like using pure aloe gel as an easy, simple face mask, but I also plan on experimenting with a yogurt and aloe face mask. The probiotics in yogurt and calming properties of aloe do wonders for sensitive skin.

If you're still out there, periodically checking in on my blog, thanks for sticking around! If you're new to this blog, welcome! I hope to not disappear for another year!

1 comment: